Love up-cycling: Taking old clothes and remaking them into cool reusable bags you can gift to another is way fun!
- From one gently used piece of clothing, cut 2 matching size pieces of cloth in the shape of the desired bag or one long rectangle piece that is 3 inches longer than twice the height of the desired bag
- Cut two 22 x 3 inch strips of material to be used as the bag’s handles
- If two separate pieces of cloth, place right sides together and sew ¼ inch seam along the bottom
- Pocket bottom seam between the front and back panels 1½ to 3 inches deep
- Sew together the front to back panels along sides using a ¼ inch seam, catching the pocketed bottom so to create a nice bottom for your bag.
- Turn bag inside out
- Roll top under by a double ¼ inch, pin and iron in place and set aside
- Iron handles in half length-wise
- Fold edge into center crease, pin in place
- Pocket edges of handles inside by a ¼ inch and iron in place
- Top-stitch both long sides of the handles
- Pin one handle end, ¼ inch deep and 2-3-inches in from the left edge of the bag inside of back panel of the bag.
- Pin the other end of the same handle ¼ inch deep and 3-inches from the right edge inside of the back panel
- Repeat previous two steps to attach the 2nd handle on the inside of the front panel of the bag
- Finish top of bag by sewing the top folded ¼ inch seam, catching the edge of the handles
- Top stitch the bag around the opening, which will help secure the bags handles
Wala! You are now ready to go J